Just some beginner tips for those who are new to the game.
These are just some very basic tips I wish I had known before I first started playing Undying.
- You can hold the spacebar to skip the intro cutscene if you’ve already watched it.
- You can move a full stack between backpack/storage with CTRL+Lclick
- Each time Cody picks up an object, he gains +1 XP in Survival. It’s okay if you accidentally pick up an item with Angling from time to time, but try to make Cody help you out as much as possible.
- Likewise, each time you go to cook/craft/repair/loot something with Anling, be sure to remember to teach Cody how to do it so that he gains some exp by learning from his mom, and eventually learn to do stuff by himself.
- Cody might run away if he gets too scared, and you’ll need to go around the maps looking for him. You can leave him at home, this also stresses him out a bit, so he has a chance to run away from home as well. Interacting with him on the sofa whenever possible might help keep him happy for longer and prevent him from running away as often (if you find a book, you can read it to him there as well). Holding his hand while you’re exploring also helps.
- Some of the maps have trash bins where Cody can hide and stay safe from the zombies.
- You will get more zombies on your backyard at some point so you might want to consider not pick it up the bear trap from there (not even after you see the zombears), as it will eventually serve its purpose later on.
- Some areas will be blocked by obstacles that you can smash with your weapon. You’ll need to smash the one leading to the Supermarket to be able to get inside, but delay smashing the others as much as possible until you find/craft an axe you can use, as this decreases your weapon’s durability (which you should try to make last as long as possible) and you should have enough resources laying around in the map that you won’t need to rush breaking those obstacles for the extra zombies/loot.
- Focus on the city and fix up the car ASAP. It unlocks more areas on the map for you to travel to (the car only needs fixing, it doesn’t require gasoline to run) and you get basically unlimited food once you get to the nature reserve.
- The water on the fountain is not infinite. Which means you’ll need to repair a faucet on the house or the water collector in the backyard at some point.
- You can turn dirty water into clean water by boiling it in the Food Bench.
- If you give 2 bottles with water to the girl next door, she’ll return them empty (for you to refill) and also give you some seeds that you can plant on your backyard after you craft a shovel. She’ll keep giving you seeds and empty bottles when you give her water but you might not want to give her more until you need to plant more seeds, since storage space is limited earlier on and storing seeds will take up 1 very precious space slot. You can water the seeds with either clean or dirty water, it doesn’t seem to make a difference.
- Speaking of planting stuff, if you have a shovel and a working car, you can grow potatoes at the Camp or Uncle’s Farm.
- You won’t be able to use a fishing rod until you find a water source where you can fish, so don’t rush crafting one.
- When the power runs out on the house, you’ll need gasoline to keep the generator running. However, this doesn’t happen until later in the game so try to only gather gasoline only as you need it (e.g.: to craft specific items), or you’ll run out of storage space pretty fast.
- The Food Bench and Tool Bench are the first workstations that you should focus on repairing and then maybe expand either the backpack space or the storage space after that (note that your backpack is shared with Cody, if you leave him at home for some reason, you’ll lose some inventory slots until you take him with you again). Don’t rush repairing the Med Bench or Recyclable until you need them. I was finding enough bandages and med kits that I didn’t need to craft any meds for a while.
- If you upgrade the Recyclable Bench, you can repair broken items. But you’ll need to fix it before being able to upgrade it.
- If you see a symptom with a side effect of ignoring damage take it, makes the docks super easy.
- Cody might get sick if he stays out in the rain for too long. You can heal him by turning on the heater (which will take several days and consume a lot of electricity) or by giving him pills (he should be up the next day). He doesn’t seem to get sick when he’s wearing his raincoat (it can be equiped like a weapon).
- At the moment, there is no use for the helmet you find at the Farm, but that might change later on as the game gets updated.
- The zombies you kill will respawn back eventually after a while.